Sunday, December 9, 2007

I've got it good, I'm tellin' ya

On Thursday a group of us from work went to do a Day of Caring at the YWCA of Calgary. We spent the afternoon decorating some Christmas trees and baking up a storm of cookies - sugar cookies, shortbread, gingerbread, macaroons (I think) and some sort of cranberry loaf. It was a lot of fun, but before we set to work, we were given a tour of the facility and an overview of the kinds of stuff they see there and how they're involved in transforming people's lives. Pretty inspiring stuff, the kind that wrenches your heart out of your gut and makes you feel guilty to go home to your cozy abode and cushy lifestyle that turn the people on the streets, and those stuck in domestically-violent homes, into things you hardly notice as you wrap your scarf around your head and trudge to and from work with your head down, eyes focused on the little patch of ground immediately in front of your feet.

No comments: