Thursday, May 8, 2008

Gretzky on Grass

Last night marked my first field hockey game since 1999. At the end of the evening, I was so wobbly I could hardly fully depress my clutch for the short drive home. I have rough ridges inside my upper lip from the chaffing of my mouth guard, and I likely still have shin-guard-shaped indentations on my legs. I even have my first war wound.

Playing field hockey in the less-than-spring-like Canadian climate is, well, somewhat different from playing field hockey during the dry season in Kenya. I've never worn so many layers under a sports uniform. On the other hand, I only once played on nice turf in Kenya, and now I've played what is only the first of many games on beautiful stadium-grade turf.

We played a full-pitch game with half as many players as the opposing team. They had ten players and three subs, in addition to their goalie; we had six players, and our goalie. GAME ON!!!

Final score: 0-0

As good as that feat feels, it'll sure be nice to play with a full team. And subs...... And maybe an inhaler?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you join a city team?